Tuesday 15 January 2013

Asian coleslaw


Like many others I've started this new year with new goals and resolutions, determined to make positive changes to my life. The vegan resolution is going really well, it's been such a positive thing that I might continue for longer than just one month. Anyhow, today it was time for the next step, to join a gym again. That's how original I am, like thousands of others, I join a gym in January....

After signing up, I went to Whole foods market at Kensington High Street for the first time. I've thought about it before but never got around to it. Which probably is a good thing for my wallet, because it was so amazing and I wanted to buy enough food to last me for months! Things like freshly made pistachio butter, marcona almonds, red quinoa (which I see in so many recipes but I never find), fresh chantarelles... In addition, a pretty amazing cheese room and nice organic meat selection. I will go there again for sure when I want something special or to indulge. Or if I want something ready made, they had an impressive selection of salads, cold and hot dishes for take away, including vegan dishes.

After browsing through the store for a ridiculously long time, I finally got home and had some of the coleslaw below. Coleslaw is easy to do, well at least once you get past all the peeling/shredding/grating, and a large batch will last for up to 5 days in the fridge. This recipe is again a modification of a recipe from River Cottage Veg Everyday. I made this to complement the sweet potato and peanut gratin, but this could be served with so many different things, from spare ribs to noodle salads to tortillas.

Asian coleslaw (serves 4-6)
0.5 small white cabbage, finely shredded
0.5 small red cabbage, finely shredded
4 medium carrots, coarsely grated
1 bunch spring onions, chopped
1 bunch coriander, chopped

Dressing
2 limes, zest and juice
1 red chili, finely chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
2 tbsp light soy sauce
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
2 tbsp rice vinegar
1 tsp light brown sugar

Combine cabbage, carrots, spring onions, and coriander in a large bowl

For the dressing, whisk all of the ingredients together

Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss thoroughly. Leave to marinate for 15-20 min before serving

Smaklig måltid!

No comments:

Post a Comment